Install problems on 8500/G3

Harold Shanafield yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 17 10:48:01 2002

I feel your pain.  I have a stock 9500 MP and it took
me at least a dozen tries to get the install to work.
Sometimes the gui installer works, sometimes it
doesn't.  I got seg faults, plain old "package install
failed", and additional problems with later install
steps.  I have NEVER gotten anything other than the
base install to work, and that only works about once
in every 20 tries.  In my opinion, the installer is
one giant hack, but if you think about it, so is
linux.  (Please don't take that as an excuse to start
another dumb, off-topic thread.)  On the plus side, if
you are serious about really getting to know how to
use linux, there's no better way than starting from
the base install and configuring everything yourself.
I've learned an amazing amount in the last four
months.  So keep trying and good luck.