LaserWriters & YDL

Luke Middle yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 17 12:23:01 2002

>on 6/16/02 6:56 PM, malice@mac.com purportedly said:
>
>>  Trying to setup my LaserWriter Pro 630 (Using EtherTalk) on my PM
>>8550 running
>>  YDL 2.2. Once I get this working I hope to share it via Samba so I
>>can toss PC
>>  MacLan. Anyone know how I would go about setting up the printer
>>(if it's even
>>  possible) and if I will need any additional software? thanks!
>
>All you need is Netatalk and Samba. Set up the printer via /etc/printcap
>according to Netatalk docs, reference that printer when setting up a printer
>share in your smb.conf, and voila--you have a cross-platform Linux print
>server. Works like a charm, usually.
>
>Keary Suska
>Esoteritech, Inc.
>"Leveraging Open Source for a better Internet"

I have done this very successfully with a LaserWriter 8500 on YDL 2.1
and printing from 95/98/xp/me/2000.  I have lp set up using RH
printtool to create the /etc/printcap file and the standard
postscript driver pointing to the laserwriter ip address.  Then add
this to your smb.conf file (double check the spool path):

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         browseable = Yes
         public = Yes
         guest ok = Yes

Then all workgroup windows machines can see it in the browse window
when setting up a new printer.  One problem I ran into here, so you
know, is there is not an apple driver in windows land for the 8500
(don't know about the 630 you are using) but other drivers seem to
work just fine.  If anyone else knows I would be interested to know
if using this method linux can give up layout control of the printer
so that a layout command from windows (eg. multiple pages on one
page) will be understood.

Good luck!
-Luke
Luke Middle                               |     : for though the camomile,
Institute of Arctic Biology               |the more it is trodden the
University of Alaska, Fairbanks           |faster it grows, yet youth, the
Irving I, room 211                        |more it is wasted the sooner
Fairbanks, AK   99775                     |it wears. (II, iv)
e-mail: ftlbm_AT_uafDOTedu                |
907 474 1844 (office)                     |     Falstaff: King Henry IV
907 474 5111 (lab)                        |                     Part 1
907 474-6716 (fax)                        |