USB zip drive access

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 18 10:53:00 2002

Szigetv=1B-B=E1ri Csaba writes:=1B-A
 > What is the right manner to access an USB external zipdrive from wit=
hin YDL?

Make sure your kernel includes USB mass storage support
(CONFIG_USB_STORAGE), then mount it as a scsi drive (eg /dev/sda).

 > A note within older mailarchives mentions to try mounting /dev/sda

It will be mapped to some scsi sd.  If you have no other scsi or
pseudo-scsi disks, it will be sda.  If you have others, it might be
sdb or sdc or whatever.

 > this did
 > not work (sda is anyway supposed to be scsi, I assume).

USB and Firewire hardrives (and cd devices) are treated as if they
were scsi.

If it didn't work for you, either your kernel doesn't have USB
mass-storage support at all, or else it was built as a module and you
didn't modprobe it.

--=20
rshapiro@bbn.com