RPM's or source? (was: Can I upgrade with RPMs?)

Shawn Coomey yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 19 15:13:01 2002

"It pays to be tidy."

- Agreed, especially on a Linux system, but my point is
not about knowing the difference between critical data and
OS stuff... more a difference between application files
and the OS. Because I was tidy, I was able to quickly back
up everything I needed.

Don't get me wrong. I love using RPM's for exactly the
reasons you mentioned. Although I often run into this
scenario with RPM's:

I have 2 RPM installed apps, A and B. I want to uninstall
B, but can't because RPM wants to uninstall a library (or
20) that A needs. Catch-22.

I guess what it comes down to is that I just want to know
if there is any reasonable, logical way of upgrading a
system that has RPM's as well as source-compiled apps
installed as well... without the pain. :)

Thanks-
Shawn