RPM's or source? (was: Can I upgrade with RPMs?)

Graham Leggett yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 19 15:51:01 2002

Shawn Coomey wrote:

> I guess what it comes down to is that I just want to know if there is
> any reasonable, logical way of upgrading a system that has RPM's as well
> as source-compiled apps installed as well... without the pain. :)

Do it by hand, and use the -F option.

I upgraded a v2.1 to a v2.2 by going through the RPMs in batches, then
deleting them as I went along. As you go along, certain key packages
will have a lot of dependancies, but as you work through the
dependancies you'll eventually solve them all.

The lazy way of doing it though is to simply change to the directory on
the CD with all the RPMs in it and type rpm -F *.rpm. This will update
all the RPMs you have installed on the system, ignoring the rpms you
don't have installed. If it throws any dependancy warnings just fix
those warnings by hand until they are gone, and run rpm -F again. When
rpm doesn;t complain, then everything is done.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm
	"There's a moon