Yellowdog installer just blew away my disk...

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 19 16:17:01 2002

Um...

Why on earth would you need to use a partition editor for what is
essentially a monster package upgrade? I haven't seen the 2.2 graphical
installer but isn't there a way to tell it to use your existing partition
map and mount points, instead of pretending like you're starting from
scratch? Oh well.

I think, if you can remember how your old partition map looked (I always
print one out with pdisk before messing around) and you haven't formatted
anything, you can create a new partition map with the old specs and that
should recover your partitions...  might be dead wrong here but I /think/
I've done this at times.

My two cents says that graphical partitioning and mount point creation
tools for Linux are usually one level of abstraction too many, especially
when the command line tools make so much (more?) sense. There once was a
great little guide to pdisk and setting up mount points, I think available
with the LinuxPPC Q4 release, but it may now be unavailable.

- n