Install Woes

Seth Dimbert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 20 08:30:01 2002

I'm trying to install YDL on a PowerCenter 120. This is not my first Linux
install, though it is my first YDL install. The PowerCenter 120 is a "should
work" machine, not a "will work" one, but I don't think the problem I'm
having can be blamed on the Mac.

The machine has 2 internal 1GB drives in addition to the original 750 MB.
I've wiped all three and reinstalled the original Mac OS (7.5.3) on the
smallest drive. I then boot from that drive and insert the YDL 2.2 CD which
I got from linuxiso.org.

I had to send the BootX.hqz file across the network to an OS 9 machine
(since Stuffit Expander won't work in 7.x) and then send the expanded
install application back. I know that that is irregular, but I don't believe
that's my problem either.

Here's what's going wrong. Upon running the Boot-X (1.2.2) Installer:

1 - Things appear to run normally.
2 - The app gives me the "Preparing to install..." message and the CD spins.
3 - I get the "We might have to restart. OK?" message. I say OK.
4 - I get to "Installing 0 of 114 Items."
5 - It gets to about 108 files (VMLinux_2.2) then tells me that it can't
find a file it needs. Reinstall or Quit?

Reinstalling doesn't work. When I try, I immediately get a "File Not Found"
error. I figure that either my Install CD is somehow corrupted (unlikely) or
there's some reason why I can't install from OS 7.5.x (more likely).

Can anyone help me out?

Other note: If I try to boot to Linux, I get a Kernel Panic and, when I
reboot to MacOS, the CD Drive doesn't work. I have to shut the Mac down and
startup to MacOS to get the CD drive to work.

-SD