Install Woes

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 20 11:47:01 2002

Hi Seth-

I'll try to help. . .

>I'm trying to install YDL on a PowerCenter 120. This is not my first Linux
>install, though it is my first YDL install. The PowerCenter 120 is a "should
>work" machine, not a "will work" one, but I don't think the problem I'm
>having can be blamed on the Mac.

I don't think so either. I have a PowerBase 180 and it works. Since
they're from the same company, I would assume they are very similar.

>Here's what's going wrong. Upon running the Boot-X (1.2.2) Installer:
>
>1 - Things appear to run normally.
>2 - The app gives me the "Preparing to install..." message and the CD spins.
>3 - I get the "We might have to restart. OK?" message. I say OK.
>4 - I get to "Installing 0 of 114 Items."
>5 - It gets to about 108 files (VMLinux_2.2) then tells me that it can't
>find a file it needs. Reinstall or Quit?

My first guess would be hard disk space i.e. not enough of it. Are you
trying to split your install between the two 1Gb drives? I don't know
how to do this, but I've seen other people have a separate partition for
/usr or /home. I would think separate drives would be the same
procedure. Have you tried a base install? If that works, lack of drive
space is probably your problem. I tried installing the Home/Office
package on my original drive (1.2Gb with 1Gb for Linux), and I got
"Install failed".

>Reinstalling doesn't work. When I try, I immediately get a "File Not Found"
>error. I figure that either my Install CD is somehow corrupted (unlikely) or
>there's some reason why I can't install from OS 7.5.x (more likely).

If your problem isn't hard drive space, I would guess a corrupted
install CD is more likely. I think I did my install from OS9, but I have
Boot X installed on both OS 9 and OS 7.5.3, on separate drives even, and
selecting Linux in either takes me to the same place. I don't know
anything about how BootX mediates control of Linux  vs. Mac OS, but I
would assume that once it hands it off to the installer, it shouldn't
matter which Mac OS you have.

>Can anyone help me out?
>
>Other note: If I try to boot to Linux, I get a Kernel Panic and, when I
>reboot to MacOS, the CD Drive doesn't work. I have to shut the Mac down and
>startup to MacOS to get the CD drive to work.

You made it farther than I did. When I try to reboot into MacOS from
Linux, my computer freezes after I select Mac OS in the Boot X
extension. :-)

Good Luck!

Cindy