quik install and boot on a Powerbook 3400

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 21 14:33:01 2002

At 9:34 PM +0200 6/21/02, Henrik Farre wrote:
>I'm having some problems getting my Powerbook 3400 to boot with quik
>(version 2.0-1j from YDL 2.2, using kernel 2.2.21-rc3, ext2 on /). I would
>like to use quik because It takes about 25 sec before BootX is run.

Here is a working quik.conf from my PowerBook 2400 (which is
essentially a repackaged 3400 so it's very similar):

init-code = "dev /bandit/ohare/via-pmu backlight-on"
partition = 3
device = ata0/ata-disk@0
root = /dev/hda3
timeout = 50
image = /boot/vmlinux-2.4.10-pre8-ben0
         label = linux
         alias = l

The init-code line turns the LCD backlight on so you can see the quik
prompt.  I don't know if it's necessary on the 3400, but on the 2400
you can't see a thing without it.

Open Firmware variables are set as follows:

boot-device     ata0/ata-disk@0:3
boot-file       linux
boot-command    boot

Some explanation about boot-file: Open Firmware doesn't use this
variable itself when you boot via quik, because quik is a bootblock
based loader.  However, it does get used by quik to determine which
"image" you want to boot by default.  You can either specify a path
to a kernel, or you can use one of the labels defined in quik.conf as
I did above.

>I have tried diffrent env settings with nvsetenv. But they fail with
>diffrent errors on boot:
>
>boot-file "/boot/vmlinux-2.2.21-rc3 root=/dev/hda"
>boot-device "ata/ata-disk@0:0"
>
># error on boot:
>can't OPEN ata/ata-disk@0:0

In this case, Open Firmware failed to find boot-device, and therefore
couldn't even load quik.

>boot-file "/boot/vmlinux-2.2.21-rc3"
>boot-command "begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"
>boot-device "ata-int/ata-disk@0:10"
>
># error on boot:
>specified partition not bootable

Now OF is actually opening a partition (probably the key thing was
going from just "ata" to "ata-int"), but the partition opened is not
bootable.

It turns out that some OF versions (not all!) in PowerMacs specify
disk and partition numbers in hexadecimal, while others specify them
in decimal numbers.  I suspect the 2400/3400 use hex.  Try this with
boot-device set to "ata-int/ata-disk@0:a" or "ata0/ata-disk@0:a".

>boot-file "/boot/vmlinux-2.2.21-rc3"
>boot-command "begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"
>boot-device "ata-int/ata-disk@0:0"
># error on boot:
>boot Second-stage QUIK loader
>boot: /boot/vmlinux-2.2.21-rc3
>... ok
>copying OF device tree...done
>Initing fake screen
>Calling quiesc ...
>DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300 at %SRR0: 0012A1F8 %SRR1: 00003070

Here, by telling OF to boot partition 0, you cause it to scan for the
first bootable partition.  It finds it, but something goes wrong
after quik loads and tries to load a kernel.  Hopefully if you make
your quik.conf settings similar to what I have above, it will
magically start working for you.  :)

--
Tim Seufert