Another weird question: Installing on IBM p610 Hardware?

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 23 19:42:00 2002

--Apple-Mail-2--668856906

Hi all,

I have another weird question: Can I install YDL on an AIX? I have read
the install instructions for AIX but the machines it mentions are only
the old to ancient boxes (F50). I have a p610 at the office (we put it
into an empty office and closed the door because the thing is so noisy),
which we got from IBM to 'play around' with - aka 'evaluate'.
Well, we have already established, that this thing is ultra-slow with
it's single 450 MHz Power-3 processor, running AIX 4.3.3 and we would
like to run this under Linux and put some load on it. I will probably
put a postgresql database on the thing and see how it performs. Our 1.2
GHz P-III, running RedHat 7.3 (costs are $3000) runs rings round that
p610 (costs are $18K) and I'm trying to find out if it's the OS or the
hardware which is so slow. YDL being closely modeled after RedHat should
give me some clearer indication of what the hardware is capable off.

Any idea if I can get YDL installed on that box?

Best regards,
Chris

Chris Ruprecht
1505 Fort Clark Boulevard #1-205 * Gainesville, FL 32606
E-mail: chrup@earthlink.net

[...]

<center>Chris Ruprecht

1505 Fort Clark Boulevard #1-205 * Gainesville, FL 32606

E-mail: chrup@earthlink.net</center>
--Apple-Mail-2--668856906--