YDL 2.2 Install on external Firewire drive on TiBook 667 - How?

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 24 23:16:01 2002

On Sun Jun 23 2002, Chris Ruprecht wrote:

> I have MacOS X 10.1.5 installed on my TiBook on the entire internal
> drive. I'm not extremely happy with the OS and would like to install YDL
> 2.2 on the machine. I have an external 30 GB drive, connected via
> FireWire and I want to use it in it's entirety for YDL. I have recently
> played a lot with RedHat Linux on an Acer notebook and that convinced
> me, that the time has come for me to try Linux on this machine again. I
> have used YDL (1.2 and 2.0) before on my PowerBook G3 but not, since I
> got the TiBook. I can not install it on the G3, since that has changed
> ownership - it now belongs to my wife, and I don't dare touch it ;-).
>
> I have scanned the list and there is some mention that you can install
> YDL and access FireWire devices, but there is no mention of actually
> booting off a FW drive. Is that at all possible? What do I need to do to
> et this working right?

Hi Chris,

Booting from FireWire on Linux is not yet easily doable.  But perhaps
you can flip that around and copy your MacOS X to a partition on the
external FireWire disk, assuming that MacOS X can boot from a FireWire
drive, which I believe it can.  Then you could install YDL on the
internal drive.  After Linux is booted, you can also mount ext2 or
ext3 partitions from the external FireWire drive (whatever is left
over after copying the MacOS X installation to its partition).

						-Regards

						-Bill