OS X to Linux transition - Help needed!

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 27 22:22:01 2002

On Friday 28 June 2002 12:06 am, David Dahl wrote:
> I just converted from OS X (on my TiBook), but, only for development.  =
> still plan on using iMovie, iPhoto, etc
> I am using Ximian Evolution for email, I did not even try to convert my
> mail boxes.

Well, I would like to keep my email. I have been able so far to keep=20
everything over the years from Eudora 2.1.4 on MacOS 7.5 until now - a fe=
w=20
100 MB in mail messages. I could try and figure out how to set up an IMAP=
=20
server on my big Linux box and move everythig over.

And - hmm dual boot kind of drives me up the wall - the file you need alw=
ays=20
happens to be on the other system's partition, the one you just can't get=
 to=20
right now ...

> You can use MacOnLinux for quicktime playback.

Uhmm - I tried that a while back, on a PowerBook Pismo and it was rather =
slow=20
and unstable (YDL 2.1).

> I am really glad i switched, the speed boots is amazing!  I am adjustin=
> to Quanta 2 from BBEdit, but i do miss BBEdit.

I believe so. I'm currently running RedHat 7.3 on a company notebook (Ace=
r,=20
600 MHz) and the machine is just so much faster then this stupid MacOS X.=
 I=20
HATE MacOS X - I just don't want to live without the very good applicatio=
ns=20
which are out there for it.

And of course, BBEdit - how could I forget? I use vim extensively on Linu=
x,=20
and I really like vim - but there is no substitue for "Open from FTP serv=
er".=20
Can't we convince BareBones to port it to Linux?

Best regards,
Chris