Booting YDL 2.1 on B&W G3 Problems

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 28 13:46:01 2002

At 8:51 AM -0500 6/28/02, Jeffrey Bruton wrote:
>One more time, not in HTML either (sorry about that)
>
>I am having problems getting my machine to boot YDL 2.1, which I installed
>from the CD. Everything went fine, but booting from the HD is the problem.
>
>I have a B&W G3, rev 1 with a drive jumpered as slave connected to a sonnet
>tempo PCI controller card. I have read the HOWTO-Booting with Yaboot on
>PowerPC - Recovering From Misconfiguration. From that I decided to try this
>at OF
>
>boot ide1:7,yaboot

Judging by your devalias output:

>ide0    /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@20000
>ide1    /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0
>hd    /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk0
>ultra0    /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk0
>ultra1    /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk1

ide1 is probably an alias to the B&W G3's UltraDMA controller, not
your Sonnet Tempo card.  Its path is basically the same as the path
for 'hd', which is always an alias to the master device on the IDE
bus Apple intended to be used for the boot drive.

You may have to use the full OF device tree path; I don't think PCI
cards can add aliases to OF.  (Or if they can, I haven't seen them do
it.)  You can figure out the path by using the 'dev' and 'ls'
commands to navigate through the device tree.  It is sure to be under
/pci, so start out with:

dev /pci ls

 From there, poke around until you find the card.
--