using ximian with ydl2.1?

r may yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 28 15:09:00 2002

Give red-carpet a try,  it should be a good experience (and a little
effort).  Red-carpet will recognize YDL 2.0-2.2.   Ximian gnome will
work on YDL 1.1 and 1.2 but I can't remember exactly what I did.  I
think I had to install the rpms from the LinuxPPC-2000 folder off their
ftp site.  I never really had any problems as long as I had all the
dependencies in place.
2.3 is not supported (officially) yet and they don't have Gnome2
available for PPC.  It took them a while to support 2.2 so I'm guessing
it will be the same with 2.3 and Gnome2.  The 2.2 rpms  work just fine
for me on 2.3.  I used apt to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 and everything
still works.

*red-carpet is kinda dumb so be careful*
It will want to get rid of some stuff since YDL and Ximian build Gnome
differently in some ways.  It also does not seem to like qt 3.0.  It
will want to replace it with qt 2.2.2 and will remove the rest of KDE3
since it depends on qt 3.0.  So be careful to read what its going to zap
off of your system, but then this was using its YDL channel as well.
Now that apt is available I don't think the YDL channel in red-carpet
should be used.

All in all Ximian gnome seems worth the effort, at least for me.
r.May