Bringing up 2nd NIC card

David McInnis yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 29 12:31:01 2002

Thank you.  The drivers were in the wrong directory.  After I moved them
everything worked peachy.  Just one more question.

I have an identical machine that I am setting up as a mirror to the one
I just set up.  Can I use the same pci-scan.o and rtl8139.o files that I
just compiled or do I need to rebuild them on the mirror machine?

Also when I did 'modprobe rtl8139' I got the following message:

Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.4.10-12a/modules.dep

Is this significant?  I tried "touch" on the files, but I still get this
message.

David McInnis

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com] On Behalf
Of Ken Schweigert
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 10:31 AM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: Bringing up 2nd NIC card

David,

In your /etc/modules.conf file put something like:
  alias eth1 rtl8139

You will also need to create a /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
with the appropriate interface and IP address.

Also, do a 'depmod -a' to recreate your dependancy file.  If you don't
see any errors you should be able to do 'modprobe rtl8139' and it will
load pci-scan and then rtl8139.

Then just do a '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart' and you should be
in business.

Hope this helps.

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC