Hardware compatiblity: PowerMac 9600 with G3

Michael J Flaherty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 30 11:15:01 2002

On Friday 29 March 2002 04:48, you wrote:
> On Friday 29 March 2002 04:19 pm, James O'Reilly wrote:
> > What is powerlogix and why would I need backside cache enabled?  Is this
> > related to any G3 driver problem, or is that really not a problem?

Your computer will be noticeably faster w/L2 cache enabled.

> the backside cache (512/1MB) must be enabled for the cpu to reach it's full
> potential. the processor itself needs no special driver - only the backside
> cache does. powerlogix' control panel is quite nifty and "knows" PPC based
> Linux.

There is an app called "grab G3 Cache setting" in the utilities folder,
inside the BootX extras folder which appears on your Mac desktop after BootX
installation.  Run that once, run BootX, click the options button, and check
the box that says Set G3 Cache.  Then re-save your BootX preferences.

Your L2 should then be enabled in Linux no matter what brand of processor
upgrade (so far as I know anyway, it works fine with my Sonnet card) you are
using, provided you have L2 enabled with the proper upgrade card software in
Mac OS.  If it is not enabled in Mac OS, then there willl be no setting to
grab.

MJF