multiple linux installs

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 31 00:03:05 2002

On Fri Mar 29 2002, Mark T. Valites wrote:

> The problem arises when I blow away yellow dog (rm -f /my/kernel or rm -rf
> / - oops?)  Now when I want to boot debian, I can't.  My OS9 & X installs
> must have something sitting in the boot block of their respective
> partitions that tell them "ok, let's boot".  There is no such thing on the
> debian / partition.  The way to do it with lilo would be
> boot=/dev/DEBIAN'S_ROOT_PARTITION, but I just don't know the yaboot
> equivalent.  Assuming there is one, once I do this, will rerunning yaboot
> with a debian=/dev/DEBIAN'S_ROOT_PARTITION will it pick this up & show it
> in the boot menu?

Hi Mark,

You probably need to modify the ofboot.b file in the bootloader partition
to add another OS option.  Actually, you probably need to edit the
/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot script which ybin uses to generate the ofboot.b
file.  Otherwise, if you ever reran ybin, it would clobber the ofboot.b
file in the bootloader partition.

						-Bill