Forcing a clean reinstall

Jeff Berman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 2 11:04:00 2002

On 5/2/02 6:24 AM, "Jonathan Singer" <jsinger@genome.wi.mit.edu> wrote:

> After making a shambles of my system trying to upgrade 2.1 to 2.2 with
> apt-get, I'd like to start over from scratch.
>
> I have two ext2 partitions, one mounted at / that can be blanked and another
> at /home that I want to keep.
>
> Is there a way to get a fresh install from the CD, preferably intializing the
> / partition? The install process finds the existing installation and there
> doesn't seem to be an option to reinstall instead of upgrading.

Jonathan, can't you just run the installation program and delete the "/"
partition, then recreate it, then perform the installation?  (There's a
documented installer issue where it's not happy if you delete and recreate a
partition in one sitting, so you'll have to delete the partition, exit the
installer, then create the partition.)

Can someone else comment on this?  I'm very new to Linux, but wouldn't this
work?

Jeff