Getting files from linux to Mac via MOL

Joe Buczek yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 2 12:08:01 2002

--- Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
> Joe Buczek wrote:
>
> > Grettings. I'm running YDL 2.1 on an ibook2. I've got some
> fairly
> > enormous audio files on my linux partition that I want to got
> over
> > to my Mac partition for further twiddling. As I'm typing this,
> I'm
> > ftp'ing them with Internet Explorer under MOL, using my ftpd on
> > linux. It seems there must be a more efficient way to do this.
> >
> > Can anyone out there offer better alternatives?
>
> Use netatalk on the Linux side - and mount your linux based
> drives via
> appletalk. Works great.

I avoided this because it was one more moving part, one more thing
to learn about. The question I have is what are the transfer rates
like? If they're no better than ftp, it may be a wash.

Oh, and one other thing. These were audio files I wanted to burn an
audio cd with. The software I've mostly used to do this in the past
was on a PC, and that stuff was HIGHLY sensitive to transfer rate
problems: you wouldn't ever try to burn a CD off a networked drive
because you'd get a net hiccup and the CD burner would underrun.

I suppose the answer may be to use netatalk to copy the files, like
I ended up doing with ftp. If configuring netatalk is easy, and the
transfer rates much better than what I got (max of about 140k/sec)
then its worth a try.

As I posted in reply to another person's suggestion, the purpose of
all this was to burn an audio cd. If the stock YDL 2.1 installation
included the ide-scsi emulation module, I would have just burnt it
under linux, but configuring and building the module seemed like
more work/risk than it was worth versus ftp'ing the files and using
iTunes...

Comments and suggestions welcome...

Cheers,
--Joe