Fresh install of YDL 2.2 w/KDE 3?

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 2 17:00:02 2002

On Thursday 02 May 2002 06:19 pm, Rob Brandt wrote:
> I'm planning out my new YDL 2.2 installation and noticed that:
> =09KDE 3 is out;
> =09YDL 2.2 comes with KDE 2.x
>
> I'd like to go directly to KDE3.
>
> Is there a way to choose KDE3 rpms as the window manager during YDL
> installation?

No.

> Should I just pick a lightweight window manager during YDL
> installation and deal with KDE afterwards?

It really doesn't matter...  just whatever you're comfortable with.  If y=
ou're=20
comfortable with the command line, then don't install any window managers=
=2E =20
Once you get YD installed, grab KDE 3 via FTP & install it.  That's the=20
cleanest way to go.  Otherwise, install Gnome & then go download the KDE =
3=20
RPM's.=20

Based on my personal experience, I wouldn't recommend "upgrading" KDE 2.2=
 to=20
KDE 3.  It's best to either start out with no old version or to uninstall=
 all=20
of the old KDE packages before installing KDE 3.  Some people on the KDE=20
newsgroups have reported that they've been able to "upgrade" to KDE 3 by=20
downloading all of the KDE 3 packages & then running 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm=20
--nodeps' (run that from the directory containing all of the KDE rpm's). =
 I=20
wouldn't recommend that.  Didn't work for me on RedHat, and many other pe=
ople=20
have reported problems doing that as well.  Using the --nodeps switch is=20
never really a good idea.

So, like I say, I would stay away from KDE 2.2.  Grab the new packages & =
do a=20
fresh install.  If you do decide to install another window manager during=
 the=20
YD install, you can always uninstall it after you get KDE 3 up & running.

> General question about package management: what happens to old files
> when a package is updated?  If I install KDE 2.x along with YDL, what
> happens to the old version when KDE 3 gets installed? Does the
> package manager delete old files that no other files are dependent
> on, or do they remain on the file system clogging up my drive?

Generally speaking, the packages are simply upgraded to the new version.

That really doesn't apply to KDE 3, though.  The new version of KDE is ve=
ry=20
different than 2.2.  It uses a new version of qt & has many other changes=
=2E =20
That's why I wouldn't recommend "upgrading" because you'll probably end u=
p=20
having problems with it down the line.  You can install KDE 3 along with =
KDE=20
2.2, you just need to specify a different installation directory, lib=20
directory, etc when installing KDE 3.  Don't know how well that actually=20
works as it seems like a waste of space to me.

HTH.