Package Selection

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 4 04:18:00 2002

03-May-02 at 16:49, Rob Brandt (rbrandt@sbdsl.com) wrote :
> I suspect that for various reasons I might need to start over with a
> new installation of YDL on my new server.  Is there a list of exactly
> which packages get installed under various selections in the
> installer?  It may be in my best interests to select individual
> packages, based on a combination of what two of the installation
> categories selects.  I'm thinking "Internet Server" + "Home/Office",
> or simply "Internet Server" + X + KDE, since sometimes I like working
> in a GUI.  Even then I'm not going to use some of the standard
> internet stuff, such as postfix instead of sendmail.

Hi,

If you're not 100% sure which packages you need, then just do a basic
Internet Server or Home/Office install and then use

$ rpm -qa

to list all installed packages. You can remove individual unneeded
packages with

$ rpm -e packagename

However, if you select a Home/Office install, for example, and then select
individual packages, then the pre-selected packages will be those for the
choice you made, and you can uncheck the ones you don't need before
install. The point being, of course, that packages installed can easily be
removed, and uninstalled packages can be added by mounting your CDRom,
pointing to the RPM directory on the CD, and then

$ rpm -i packagename

Regards,

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:99.79% see www.mersenne.org]
History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree