Virus checkers for e-mail servers

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 4 04:21:01 2002

04-May-02 at 00:19, Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com) wrote :

> The real issue is to find virus checking programs that are Open Source.
> Most of the virus checking frameworks, such as amavis, will integrate with
> YDL since YDL supports the same mail server programs as i386 linux (eg
> sendmail, exim, postfix etc.).  However, the work of checking each email
> for viri/viruses is usually done by an external tool.  Most of these tools
> are only available for i386 linux.  There is some work to develop an Open
> Source virus checker but I'm not sure of its status.

You can always point to another box to do the virus checking. If you want
to go for a commercial virus checker, run it on another box, and have the
mail server on Linux. Set MX to be the virus box, and then get the virus
box to pass mail on to the Linux box.

More than one way to skin this cat, of course.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:99.80% see www.mersenne.org]
The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is because I haven't