Getting files from linux to Mac via MOL

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 4 04:30:00 2002

02-May-02 at 23:31, Joe Buczek (joe_buczek@yahoo.com) wrote :
> > I might have done something like compress to mp3 at 192kb/s (I
> > can't tell
> > the difference above that) and then copy (10 times faster) then
> > re-WAV on
> > the Mac which can burn.
>
> MP3 is lossy; that isn't what I wanted to do.

I have done that from time to time, but if you're a real audiophile, and
have HiFi equipment (or are a headphone guru with a nice set of 'phones)
then you may notice differences. But on sub $1000 systems I really cannot
tell the difference between MP3 @ 192kbps and WAV. Unless, of course, it's
a particularly challenging piece with a large dynamic range, but even then
using variable bitrates tends to make things better.

> > I _think_ IDE-SCSI might be a module in YDL, rather than need
> > compiling.
> > Have you tried adding "hdx=ide-scsi" to your kernel options,
> > where x is
> > the letter of the CD-RW?
>
> I was mistaken: ide-scsi -is- compiled into the stock YDL 2.1
> kernel. I was looking for a module. Adding 'hdb=ide-scsi' to the
> kernel command line got xcdroast working almost effortlessly.
> Worked great.

Great stuff. Cool!

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:99.81% see www.mersenne.org]
If it dies, it's biology.  If it blows up, it's chemistry, and if it