Getting files from linux to Mac via MOL

Joe Buczek yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 3 00:32:01 2002

--- Simon White <simon@mtds.com> wrote:
> 02-May-02 at 10:58, Joe Buczek (joe_buczek@yahoo.com) wrote :
> > To answer your question, the FTP rates varied between about
> 50k/sec
> > to 140k/sec. I never saw it go faster than that, which for a
> CD's
> > worth of data is a long time.
>
> Wow! Something possibly amiss there. I get 700k/sec via FTP
> between two
> hosts on a LAN. Either the FTP client is being conservative, or
> the ftp
> daemon is not very good. You should get _way_ higher throughput
> than that
> over Ethernet.
>
> Or was it ftp from an emulation layer -> a running Linux, at the
> same
> time? That will cause too much overhead I guess. In which case
> you
> wouldn't necessarily get any better from netatalk.

If I wasn't clear, yes, I was running MOL, your latter case of
running under emulation. I had hoped the ftp performance would have
been better than it was.

Now the GOOD news:  I brought up netatalk and the transfer rate for
a single file was about 800k/second. Pretty decent.

> I might have done something like compress to mp3 at 192kb/s (I
> can't tell
> the difference above that) and then copy (10 times faster) then
> re-WAV on
> the Mac which can burn.

MP3 is lossy; that isn't what I wanted to do.

> I _think_ IDE-SCSI might be a module in YDL, rather than need
> compiling.
> Have you tried adding "hdx=ide-scsi" to your kernel options,
> where x is
> the letter of the CD-RW?

I was mistaken: ide-scsi -is- compiled into the stock YDL 2.1
kernel. I was looking for a module. Adding 'hdb=ide-scsi' to the
kernel command line got xcdroast working almost effortlessly.
Worked great.

Cheers everyone,
--Joe :)