Getting files from linux to Mac via MOL

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 2 12:15:01 2002

02-May-02 at 10:58, Joe Buczek (joe_buczek@yahoo.com) wrote :
> To answer your question, the FTP rates varied between about 50k/sec
> to 140k/sec. I never saw it go faster than that, which for a CD's
> worth of data is a long time.

Wow! Something possibly amiss there. I get 700k/sec via FTP between two
hosts on a LAN. Either the FTP client is being conservative, or the ftp
daemon is not very good. You should get _way_ higher throughput than that
over Ethernet.

Or was it ftp from an emulation layer -> a running Linux, at the same
time? That will cause too much overhead I guess. In which case you
wouldn't necessarily get any better from netatalk.

I might have done something like compress to mp3 at 192kb/s (I can't tell
the difference above that) and then copy (10 times faster) then re-WAV on
the Mac which can burn.

I _think_ IDE-SCSI might be a module in YDL, rather than need compiling.
Have you tried adding "hdx=ide-scsi" to your kernel options, where x is
the letter of the CD-RW?

Regards,

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:99.73% see www.mersenne.org]
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius