Getting files from linux to Mac via MOL

Joe Buczek yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 2 11:58:01 2002

--- Simon White <simon@mtds.com> wrote:
> 01-May-02 at 22:19, Joe Buczek (joe_buczek@yahoo.com) wrote :
> > Grettings. I'm running YDL 2.1 on an ibook2. I've got some
> fairly
> > enormous audio files on my linux partition that I want to got
> over
> > to my Mac partition for further twiddling. As I'm typing this,
> I'm
> > ftp'ing them with Internet Explorer under MOL, using my ftpd on
> > linux. It seems there must be a more efficient way to do this.
> >

> FTP is not such a bad way to do that... in Linux you can mount
> HFS
> directly, but not HFS+. You could create an HFS partition to
> share data
> between MacOS and Linux, but it can't be too big due to inherent
> problems
> with HFS on larger disks.
>
> But from time to time, FTP ain't so bad. You should get good
> transfer
> rates anyway, right?

FTP was the only way I could find to get data from the linux side
to the Mac side that didn't require installing or configuring
anything I didn't already have (I already had ftpd setup on my
linux config). Another person suggested netatalk, which I didn't
investigate because it was "one more thing" to learn about before
getting the darn job done.

Fact is, I wanted to burn an audio cd. You may say, gee, why not do
it directly from YDL?!! Well... first I have to rebuild my kernel
to have ide-scsi emulation in it, or at least build the module.
Sigh. It pisses me off that the various cd burner developers in the
world insist on SCSI API to use the hardware. Anyone care to hazard
a guess at the percentage of installed base of SCSI vs. ATAPI CD
burners?!? Here... I will give my guess: 1:1000  So -WHY- hasn't
the cd burner software followed this? Seems stupid to me.

To answer your question, the FTP rates varied between about 50k/sec
to 140k/sec. I never saw it go faster than that, which for a CD's
worth of data is a long time.

--Joe