CD Inactivity - HD activity

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 4 04:43:01 2002

03-May-02 at 13:09, Eric D. (liriodendron@mac.com) wrote :
> I had an opposite problem. My install of YDL causes my hard-drive to chirp
> every second or two while Xwindows+KDE is running. Is this normal or what?
> (Or is it b/c I have a 64 MB scratch disk for 576 MB RAM?)

I don't know for sure that this is the cause of the problem, but for sure
with 576 RAM you should have at least 128M of swap. We used to say swap
should be double physical RAM, until physical RAM got really cheap and
abundant.

Tools like "top" can tell you what's going on with memory & swap.

Regards,

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:99.82% see www.mersenne.org]
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails