install strangeness

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 6 16:57:01 2002

Hello everyone-

I submitted this message to the linuxppc user list last week. I'm
wondering if anyone here has any ideas. I've noticed some more unusual
behaviors since then. Among them: I can't move windows around the
desktop when logged in as a user - root works OK. I can minimize and
maximize windows, but I can't resize them i.e. by grabbing one of the
window borders and dragging it. GNOME only gives me two choices for
window managers with sawfish as the default. I would prefer
enlightenment, but it wasn't there. I can't mount the CD-ROM drive - it
says "special device /dev/xxx doesn't exist" where xxx is CDROM or sr0.
It sees the CD drive because it shows up in dmesg - that's where I got
sr0 from. The CD-ROM drive "just worked" with the LinuxPPC 1999
installation. Application start-up seems awfully slow, and I've seen
messages after leaving X windows to logout about applications quitting
due to lack of memory. I'm assuming this is due to the swap partition
problem. When I wrote the message below, I forgot to mention that I had
the swap partition problem with the install on the original hard drive,
but I assumed at the time that it was because both hdh and hda had a
swap partition. Evidently the installer managed to make the swap
partition on hdh before it broke the connection. However, for the second
install, I deleted the swap partition on hda, so there should have only
been one.

So, I would add to the original questions:

1) Where do I find enlightenment
2) Do I have some permissions set wrong such that I can't move my
windows as a user
3) Do I have some setting checked wrong so that I can' resize my windows

4) How do I get my CDROM drive to mount
5) There were several kernel choices in the BootX control panel - which
one would be the best one for me to select?

On the positive side, I can connect to the internet - which I could
never figure out with the 1999 install. KWord works - I didn't have a
word processor with the 1999 install. It looks nicer than the 1999
install and is, in general, a lot more user friendly.