install strangeness

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 6 18:07:00 2002

On Monday 06 May 2002 07:05 pm, Cynthia Croy wrote:
> Hello everyone-
[...]
> So, I would add to the original questions:
>
> 1) Where do I find enlightenment

http://www.enlightenment.org
-or-
http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/yellowdog/1.0/old_releases/yellowdog-2.0/pp=
c/YellowDog/ppc/enlightenment-0.16.5-1.ppc.html
(watch word wrap)

> 2) Do I have some permissions set wrong such that I can't move my
> windows as a user
> 3) Do I have some setting checked wrong so that I can' resize my window=

You probably just need to change your window decoration.  Some of the win=
dow=20
decorations that come with sawfish act like this.  I don't use Gnome any=20
more, so I'm going from memory here, but you should be able to pull up th=
e=20
control center -> sawfish -> window (behavior / decorations)... Sorry, do=
n't=20
remember exactly where it's at now, but it's somewhere in there.  Look fo=
r=20
things like 'Crux', 'MicroGUI', etc.  Change your window decoration to=20
something else & then try resizing.  Some of the sawfish decorations won'=
t=20
resize as you are describing.

> 4) How do I get my CDROM drive to mount

If /dev/sr0 really doesn't exist ( do a 'ls /dev/sr0'), try creating a sy=
mlink

ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom

see if that helps.

What's in /etc/fstab?  You may be able to simply edit the mount there & n=
ot=20
worry about creating a symlink.

> So my questions are
>
>     1) What's wrong with the swap partition

Sounds like the partition tables weren't set up properly.  You may want t=
o try=20
this, though:

fdisk -l /dev/hda (replace hda with whatever device you're using)

This should tell you where the system expects to find the swap partition =
(eg.,=20
/dev/hda6)

Once you know where the swap should be, run 'mkswap /dev/hda6' (once agai=
n,=20
replace with whatever your partition should be).

Maybe, if you're lucky, that's the only partition problem you'll have.  A=
ll=20
the trouble you're having though, I suspect you may have other problems a=
s=20
well.

>     2) Why did the installer quit

I had similar problems with the installer.  I downloaded the 2.2 ISO & th=
ought=20
perhaps something got screwed up when I burned the CD, but it sounds like=
=20
you're having the same problems with an official copy.  Maybe the install=
er=20
is buggy - maybe it's a well documented problem.  Can't say I've research=
ed=20
it as the base install worked okay (was the *only* option that worked at =
all)=20
& then I went back and installed the packages I needed.  Everyone was hap=
py=20
in the end.

>     3) Did I miss anything besides the KDE multimedia

Hard to say...

>     4) Can I install anything I missed from the CD without going throug=
>
> the whole install again

Once you have the cd mounted, go to the /YellowDog/ppc directory & run

rpm -ivh packagename.rpm to install anything you want.