Samba on YDL 2.1

Chris Boot yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 7 09:53:01 2002

Hi all,

I installed YDL 2.1 on an OldWorld 5400/180 and ran yup to fetch all the
updates (glibc-2.2.4, binutils, gcc, etc...) and followed by installing a
new kernel from the linuxppc_2_4 branch (2.4.19-pre8) and Samba 2.2.3a.

The problem I am having is that after launching nmbd, the system becomes
completely unusable.  Any program that is run (whether it is login, init,
mgetty, shutdown, etc...) crashed with a segfault and dumps core.  This does
not happen is I don't launch nmbd and doesn't happen if I only launch smbd.
I then tried with Samba 2.2.4 and get the same results.

I have tried with several different kernel versions, both standard
kernel.org versions and ppc-patched versions, and all yield the same result,
too.  I've kept the configuration the same in all versions, but all other
programs run fine, I'm only having trouble with nmbd.

If anyone can provide any kind of pointer whatsoever, I would be eternally
grateful.  This machine's only purpose is to serve a bunch of Samba shares,
and I don't want to have to buy a new swanky computer for such a simple task
(that it did soo well with LinuxPPC 2000, before my hard drive crashed :-( )

--
Chris Boot
bootc@mac.com

DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and
millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million
machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note
that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers
alone do not denote a higher life form.
New York Times, November 26, 1991