KDE has problems at first login

Larry Kollar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 7 19:04:01 2002

System is a new YDL 2.2 install, apt-get'ed on May 4 to latest.
KDE 2.2.2.

When logging into KDE for the first time after login, sound does
not work. At login time, the following message comes up:

	Sound server informational message:

	Error while initializing the sound driver:
	Device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device)
	The sound server will continue, using the null
	output device.

Logging out and back in solves this problem.

Kicker also failed to start. I've had this problem numerous
times; starting kicker from a shell yields a "crashHandler
called" message and Exit 255. Deleting kickerrc allows me to
start kicker (and drag it to the bottom).  ...I say "had"
because when I logged out and logged back in again, kicker
started normally (as well as sound working).

Any ideas on how to fix this annoyance?

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the