KDE has problems at first login

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 7 19:14:01 2002

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 09:04 pm, Larry Kollar wrote:
> System is a new YDL 2.2 install, apt-get'ed on May 4 to latest.
> KDE 2.2.2.
>
> When logging into KDE for the first time after login, sound does
> not work. At login time, the following message comes up:
>
> =09Sound server informational message:
>
> =09Error while initializing the sound driver:
> =09Device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device)
> =09The sound server will continue, using the null
> =09output device.
>
> Logging out and back in solves this problem.

[...]

Had a similar sound problem - same error, but didn't happen quite as you=20
describe.  Anyway, I found that if I did a 'cat /dev/sndstat' it would fi=
x=20
the problem.  I simply added that command to my rc.local & forgot about i=
t. =20
Sound has worked flawlessly since then.  May be worth a shot for you, too=
=2E

Not sure about the kicker problem.