another stab at my compiler problem

Tom Moreton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 8 10:59:01 2002

I followed the list posted a couple back, and installed just about
everything on it, but I am still getting an error with gcc not
working:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

Does anyone know why this is??

rgds

Tom

>This will be my last email to this list about this.... I'm cutting
>myself off. =)
>
>Sorry, this message was intended to be private! I'll be sure that
>future email is kept private!!
>

>So sorry...
>

>On Monday, April 22, 2002, at 09:28  AM, Joe Auty wrote:
>
>>Thanks very much for this list!!
>>
>>One of the reasons I wanted to do this by hand like you described
>>(besides from my HD space problem), is that this is on a NuBus Mac
>>and I've only been able to find an install kernel/ram disk for
>>installing YDL 2.0. My idea was to compile/update the stuff I cared
>>about by hand (ssh for one), and maybe one day yup the rest....
>>
>>Many many thanks!!

>>>  What I would recommend is installing the base install and then adding
>>>what you need on top of it (this is what I do for all my servers). Last
>>>summer Takashi Oe posted this handy list:
>>>
>>>autoconf
>>>automake
>>>binutils
>>>bison
>>>blt
>>>byacc
>>>bzip2-devel
>>>cdecl
>>>cpp
>>>cproto
>>>ctags
>>>cvs
>>>diffutils
>>>flex
>>>gcc-*
>>>gdb
>>>gettext
>>>glibc-devel
>>>gperf
>>>indent
>>>libtool
>>>libtool-libs
>>>m4
>>>make
>>>patch
>>>readline-*
>>>rcs
>>>rgrep
>>>rsh
>>>rsync
>>>sed
>>>sharutils
>>>strace
>>>texinfo
>>>tclx
>>>tix
>>>tk
>>>tkinter
>>>umb-scheme
>>>unarj
>>>unzip
>>>zlib
>>>zlib-devel
>>>
>>>  Usually what I do is install most of these and then compile anything else
>>>I need from source (like apache + openssl + mod_php, Postgres, openssh,
>>>etc.). For most publically accessible apps, I would strongly recommend
>>>compiling from source. This way, if there is an exploit found, you can
>>>likley have a patch long before you would be able to find any RPMs
>>>available (especially for PPC). Also, this gives you the option to change
> [...]

- - - - - - -
tom moreton

fat beehive ltd
first floor
59 rivington street
london ec2a 3qq
t 020 7739 8704
f 020 7613 3303
we do web stuff  - http://www.fatbeehive.com

fat beehive are proud to have recently launched the new website for
Nobel Peace Prize nominees Global Witness.

Global Witness are a charity who work to highlight the links between
environmental exploitation and human rights abuses. Find out how and
why at http://www.globalwitness.org