B&W G3 can't boot YDL2.2

Al Arzaga yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 9 11:49:00 2002

I've gone through all the possible options listed here
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/
boot_functions.shtml that applied to my machine.

But after installing YDL2.2, I'm unable to get the machine to
find yaboot.

My setup consists of a B&W 400MHz G3 with a SCSI Quantum hard drive
and the SCSI controller it came with when I bought the system.
What I added to this setup is a Maxtor IDE drive and a Sonnet ATA
100 IDE controller.

The Quantum is strictly for Mac OS 9.2 while the Maxtor is my
designated YDL drive.

Therefore, the partitions I have designated for YDL2.2 are in
/dev/hde2   boot
/dev/hde3   swap
/dev/hde4   root

And the Mac partition is in (I believe) /dev/sda.

In Open Firmware, I've attempted the following commands:
setenv boot-device hd:2,ofboot.b
setenv boot-device hd:2,\\:tbxi

All of which gave me a "boot  can't OPEN: hd:2,..." and so on.

Booting from the install CD, I've tried at the boot prompt:
cd-linux root=/dev/hde2
cd-linux root=/dev/hde3
cd-linux root=/dev/hde4

all of which gave me errors about not being able to open the devices.

I've reset my PRAM, too.
I've run the installer and custom-re-installed yaboot...

I'm still stuck.

Does this sound familiar to anyonen out there?