Nvidia support

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 16 17:21:01 2002

From: brad allison <jackal@aol.net>
> Nope.  Ben's kernel completely locks up too.
>
> Ben's kernel booted fine, and I booted it with the "novideo" option in
> yaboot.
>
> When it came up I ran Xconfiguration and changed the driver from "fbdev"
> to "nv" and ran then ran "startx" and it completely locked the box.

Hi,

The novideo option is not enough. You should have a kernel from
the Ben's latest source (2.4.19-pre8-ben0, rsynced AFTER May 10, 2002)
compiled with the config of NO rivafb support (# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not
set), to work with the nv driver of XFree86-4.2. If the kernel has
a working rivafb driver, the driver works in place of the offb driver
even if you start up with the novideo option, and the nv driver does
not work (and the machine hungs as you describe).
I do not know how works well this configuration for the ADC connected
display. I have confirmed only for the VGA connected one.

Cheers,
kaz