halt fails to stop mysql?

Rob Schumann yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 11 01:12:01 2002

Hi,

On 11-05-2002 Danny . wrote:

 > Ok, I have an issue now where if I have mysqld running and I
 > reboot or halt, the attempt to 'shut down mysql' returns a
 > 'failed' message.
 >
 > Any ideas on why this might be happening or how I might fix it
 > short of manually turning it on and off when necessary?

I've seen similar and I think it relates to the fact that the mysqld hasn't fully completed its startup at the point when you initiate the shutdown.

service mysqld start

followed immediately by

service mysqld status

will show mysqld to be running, however it seems to take a small eternity for the mysqld startup to ACTUALLY complete. If you shutdown before this startup has REALLY finished then you will get the failure message you are seeing... if, on the other hand enough time has elapsed before you shutdown the system then you get the normal OK message when the mysqld was stopped in the shutdown sequence.

I don't think it is anything to get worried about, but I'd be willing to defer to those more experienced than I.

Best regards

Rob Schumann