Nvidia support

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 11 15:47:01 2002

At 3:20 PM -0500 5/10/02, Robert Brandtjen wrote:
>On Friday 10 May 2002 02:30 pm, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
>>  Nonsense, the Mac versions are identical.
>
>No they're not - go ahead and zap the card bios and load on it on a pc and see
>what happens - it's common knowlege that they cannot produce the same 3d
>effects that the PC versions can -

Oh really?  If it was such common knowledge, I'd have thought I'd
have heard it elsewhere by now.  If you expect anybody to believe
this, you had better prove it a bit better than appealing to "common
knowledge" that isn't.  Can you even name a single specific feature
you believe Apple's hardware lacks?

I'm guessing that you're conflating Apple's lack of a _software_
interface to the advanced rendering features of NVidia (and ATI)
chips into a hardware deficiency.  You seem to operate on the basis
of creatively reinterpreting partially remembered bits of real
information, so this is quite plausible to me.

In anticipation of your next tirade, the reason for that shortcoming
is simply that there is no official OpenGL API for these features.
However, Apple is a member of the OpenGL ARB (architecture review
board), and is known to be leading the effort to define the official
OpenGL interfaces for advanced rendering features such as vertex
programs.  Linux will benefit from Apple's efforts, as will every
non-MS operating system in need of a viable 3D API...

>my Geforce 2 ti on RH linux with dual 866
>P3's smokes the latest and greatest of Apple's offerings with their so called
>geforce4 card, absolutely smokes it, and it does it 32 bpp.

"so called geforce4"?  You still want to beat that drum when you've
JUST BEEN TOLD that what Apple is currently shipping is a GeForce4MX?
You sure have issues.

Also, the last phrase implies that you think NVidia's products don't
do 32bpp on the Mac.  Pardon me while I roll on the floor laughing
for a while.

>Unlike the Voodoo
>2 and 3 cards, you cannot flash the bios of an Nvidia and have it run on a
>Mac and vise-versa, as I can with a voodoo5 card.

You are ignorant.  Flashing PC NVidia cards to Mac works, but only so
long as the card is very similar to Apple's OEM card.  I can document
this:

http://duxbury.ath.cx:6060/gf3/gf3_1.html

As for the opposite direction, it seems unlikely that anybody would
want to do so, and I have never heard of an attempt.

Can YOU document any of the claims you've been throwing about?  If
not, please go away.  At this point you can only further damage your
credibility.

--
Tim Seufert