proftpd not letting anyone in.

Al Arzaga yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 11 20:38:00 2002

Hello, folks.

I've noticed that I'm unable to ftp into my YDL2.2 machine at all
unless I run proftpd as a standalone daemon (as opposed to being launched
by xinetd).

Has anyone had this problem?  When attempting to ftp to it, it
gives me a "ftp: connect: Connection refused" before there's even
a login prompt.

However, when I run proftpd with debug on (using command
/usr/local/sbin/proftpd -d9 -n) and altered the /etc/proftpd.conf
to be abled to do so (switched to standalone), then it worked.

But I'd like the daemon to run only when there's a connection, so
I'd like to get this to work with xinetd.  Is anyone here
familiar with how I can troubleshoot this?

-Al