Memory problems

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 11 20:45:01 2002

At 2:16 AM +0200 5/12/02, Christian Gross wrote:
>I have installed YDL 2.2 yesterday and I have some major problems.  I use
>java and it gives me out of memory exceptions.  I looked at my RAM and it
>seems most of it 126 MB of 128 MB are used.  How do I control this?  This
>worked with YDL 2.1 without problems.

Do you have a swap partition?  If so, is it really active?  To check,
use the 'free' command; you should see some swap space listed, like
this:

$ free
Mem:         77564      73212       4352          0       1704      54420
-/+ buffers/cache:      17088      60476
Swap:       262136        124     262012

If you have the same physical RAM and swap active as with YDL 2.1, it
is probably a matter of something in YDL 2.2 taking up more memory
than before, pushing you into out-of-memory.  To test this theory,
you can add some temporary extra swap space.  Use the 'dd' and
'mkswap' tools to set up an additional swap file and 'swapon' to
activate it.  In the example below I create and activate a 16MB swap
file on the same computer I used for the example 'free' output above.

(Note that you must be root to run the 'swapon' command, and the swap
file will only remain in use until you reboot Linux.  To make it more
permanent you can set up a /etc/fstab entry for your swap file.)

[root@localhost /root]# dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1M count=16
16+0 records in
16+0 records out
[root@localhost /root]# mkswap swapfile
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 16773120 bytes
[root@localhost /root]# swapon swapfile
[root@localhost /root]# free
Mem:         77564      66880      10684          0       1604      49112
-/+ buffers/cache:      16164      61400
Swap:       278512        124     278388

--
Tim Seufert