Telnetd

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 08:40:00 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 10:06, Paul Guba wrote:
> Is there a telnetd package installed with YDL ?  If so what is it and how can
> I start it up.  rpm -q telnetd show no package installed.  I have done any
> everything install.  This is on both a 2.1 and 2.2 install on two differant
> systems.

If you really want a telnet server, install the telnet-server package on
the YD cdrom.  Once installed, you should be able to start|stop like
other services, /etc/rc.d/init.d/telnet start|stop.  Edit your runlevel
if you want it activated at boot time.

Due to lack of security with telnet, it usually isn't installed at all
on any of the recent distros.

A much better suggestion would be to install the secure shell packages.
SSH is encrypted & provides much better security.  Run 'ls
/mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/ppc/ | grep ssh' to see which packages to install.
You'll need an SSH client to access the server - most modern Linux
distributions install one by default.  You can download windows / mac
clients at download.com.