Telnetd now SSHD

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 10:40:01 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 12:00, Paul Guba wrote:
> Thanks William you are right after some quick reading I realized this.
> I have SSHD installed on my server have not checked to see if it is
> configured correctly.  No errors on start up though.  Need to configure
> on client side for OSX also.  Looking for a how to.  I thought I saw on
> the list problems with MYSQL and SSHD together any thoughts.  Would like
> to access MYSQL through SSH any issues there.

I don't use OSX, so I really can't speak to that.  I would think that
any of the unix ssh clients could be made to run on OSX.  Here's a link
to download a unix client:

http://commerce.ssh.com/sshsvr/index.html?SshSid=1WnQ4Ev5Mgo-KxUE&SshTp=31&button-3=Download+non-commercial+version
(watch word wrap)

I'm sure someone else on the list might have suggestions for SSH clients
on OSX.

There really is no configuration, if the ssh daemon is running on the
server, it will accept connections.  You may want to look at some of the
hosts.allow / hosts.deny howto's if you want to control who is able to
access the server (good idea if you're not behind a firewall).  Other
than that, so long as port 22 is open (not blocked by a firewall),
anyone can try to connect.  All you need to do is get a client & use
it.  GUI clients should be self-explanatory.  If you end up with a
command line version of the client, you would connect like this:

ssh -l username host

You'll then be asked for a password & you'll be given a shell prompt,
just like with telnet.  If it's your first time connecting to that host,
you'll be asked to accept the server key.  Just type 'yes'.

>From there, do anything you want to do.  The functionality is the same
as telnet, only difference is that data is encrypted.

To run mysql, once connected, just enter

mysql -u username -p

Enter the password & have at it.