printing, shared permissions, file compatibility

Al Kirkus yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 13:07:01 2002

I believe that you have a serial RS422 printer. I am not sure if you can =
make this work under Linux PPC or not. Either way it will not have any =
confifuration relative to network settings to get it to work. You need to =
have the serial port functioning if you wish to send data to it.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance,

Al

>>> Cynthia Croy <clc2@ix.netcom.com> - 5/15/02 1:58 PM >>>
Hello everyone -

I have been trying for several days to get Linux to print. I have an=20
Apple LaserWriter Select 310. I know it's a postscript printer, and=20
since I have to turn off Appletalk in MacOS to print to it, I am=20
guessing it isn't an Appletalk printer. Does that mean it's Localtalk=20
and therefore not supported?

With my fist attempts at printing from KDEword, I was getting a message=20
about hostname 'localhost' bad. I fixed this by putting localhost in =
the=20
/etc/hosts file - which didn't even exist until I created it for this=20
purpose. I also added it to /etc/hosts.allowed. Now I get a message=20
"Cannot open connection to localhost. Network is unreachable. Make sure=20
LPD server is running." I'm not sure what this means relative to my=20
situation. My printer is not networked. All the attempts I've made at=20
printing from printconf-gui come back with "There was an error trying =
to=20
print the test page." KDEword at least gives me more informative error=20
messages.

My next quesion is: how do I give users permission to write to the=20
Mac/Linux shared partition? I was able to give users write permission=20
for /dev/hda6, but when I try to give permission to the shared=20
directory, nothing happens. I type "chmod  +aw /mac/shared_hda, but ls=20
-l for /mac/shared_hda shows no changes, and I still can't copy files =
to=20
it as a user. Do I have to change something in /etc/fstab?

Final question: why won't Netscape and Mozilla share files? If I copy a=20
Mozilla email to the shared disk (as root) Canvas opens it in MacOS as =
a=20
blank page. Similarly, Mozilla refuses to open a Netscape html page =
from=20
the shared disk. In LinuxPPC 1999, Mozilla wouldn't open it from=20
file:open, but I was able to drag-and-drop the file icon onto the open=20
window and see it properly. This doesn't seem to work in YDL 2.2.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Cindy