problems with installing YD on a new G4 60gig drive

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 14:33:01 2002

At 3:21 PM -0400 5/15/02, brad allison wrote:
>I just reinstalled again and got the same problem:
>
>	fsck.ext2/dev/hda17:
>	The superblock could not be read of does not describe a correct ext2
>	filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
>	filesystem (and not a swap or ufs or something else), then
>the superblock
>	is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternative
>	superblock:
>	   e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
>So I tried that command "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda15" and I get "Bad magic
>number in super-block while tring to open /dev/hda15".

Why did you specify hda15 when it complained about hda17?

>This is right out of the box.....as in a fresh install on a new box.
>
>Does YD have problems with large partitions sizes or something?

Hmmm... hda15, hda17?  Your problem is probably too many partitions.
Try reinstalling, and repartition your disk so you have 16 partitions
or less.  (Linux can support >16 partitions per disk but most
distributions don't do so very well if at all out of the box.)

If you're doing the traditionalist "tons of partitions" thing, just
cut down to a single partition to see if that does the trick -- that
way you won't waste too much time in the install procedure.

--
Tim Seufert