Ok, so I'm clueless. :) Setting up an external modem.

Jackie LaVaque yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 18:01:01 2002

Good people of the YDL list,

I've got a Mac PPC 6500 running YDL 2.2. I'm picking up a modem for it
tonight. It'll be an external 56K modem that will work with a Mac (IOW,
it'll have the 25 pin serial cable) and Linux both.

I'm using KDE as my graphical interface. I'd like to install the modem
through KDE, because I'm still so new to Linux that I don't know many
commands. I have checked through some documentation too, including a couple
books and websites, but I have not run across any answers specific to my
questions here, so... maybe one or more of you fine folks would be willing
to help me out.

I'm wondering what happens after I plug the modem in to my computer... turn
the computer on, of course, but will Linux automatically detect my modem
when I power it up? If not, then where do I need to go first within KDE to
have it detect and set up the modem?

You'll have to pardon my newbie questions- I come from a Windoze
environment, and so I'm used to plug-and-play. Thanks for your advice.

Jackie