OT: Apple's New xServe - 1U Rackmount Server

John Nelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 21:38:01 2002

I've never understood why corporate America is reluctant to accept a
product just because it's free and open to inspection.  Does charging
money for a product make that product any more reliable?  And guess
what, engineers of the same caliber develop software for Open Source
projects as do Microsoft employees.  In fact I'd say many Open Source
developers are of a far higher standard than those poor dumb bastards
who work at Microsoft.

Business needs to get over this notion that just because you pay for
something, it is necessarily of higher quality or carries better
support.  Take Microsoft software for example.  When was the last time
anyone successfully sued Microsoft because it's software was of poor
quality?  When was the last time a retail consumer called Microsoft on
the phone and obtained timely technical support?

If anything, Microsoft pay-for software is undermining the productivity
and security of corporate America, but the suits refuse to adapt.  Too
bad... they'll still be signing purchase orders to Microsoft as their
corporate infrastructure crashes and burns.

-- John