OT: Apple's New xServe - 1U Rackmount Server

George Mogiljansky yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 22:55:01 2002

Way back at the beginning of this thread, one of the
list members wrote (I'm paraphrasing) that the Rev.1
G4 PowerBook and the Rev.1 B&W were lemons. Without
singling out any particular manufacturers, I'd say
that some buy scrap chips (incl. CPUs) after they've
tested a sample and found that a work-around code
could be programmed into a ROM chip. If the final
product proves defective, the defective part is
replaced with a different revision (this applies
especially to cars).

Why corporate America is reluctant...someone said a
long time ago that most BODs and CEOs are not nerds,
geeks or even university computer studies graduates.

If we live in a throw-away society and this economic
policy is not changed from the ground up, anything
free will continue to be looked upon with suspicion
(especially by CEOs earning bonuses, stock options,
etc.).

Maybe I should stop trying to make sense of a
situation that makes little sense.
Cheers
George

--- John Nelson <john@computation.com> wrote:

> I've never understood why corporate America is
> reluctant to accept a
> product just because it's free and open to
> inspection.

=====
/'\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / No HTML/RTF in email
 X  No Word docs in email
/ \ Respect for open standards

Love your neighbour as yourself. (from Luke 10:27)