OT: Apple's New xServe - 1U Rackmount Server

Rob Brandt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 16 00:24:01 2002

At 11:40 PM 5/15/02 -0400, you wrote:

>I've never understood why corporate America is reluctant to accept a
>product just because it's free and open to inspection.  Does charging
>money for a product make that product any more reliable?  And guess what,
>engineers of the same caliber develop software for Open Source projects as
>do Microsoft employees.  In fact I'd say many Open Source developers are
>of a far higher standard than those poor dumb bastards who work at Microsoft.

You're oversimplifying things.  There are other aspects to the debate than
up front cost and openness.  Two crucial issues to the GPL that scares the
bejeezus out of corporate America are:

1) The License.  Right near the top, it says "NO WARRANTEE".  Now you and I
know that a better product without a warrantee, and that other people
depend on and fix then release quickly when a problem arises is MUCH better
than crappy expensive software with a warrantee that gets fixed whenever
they get around to it, but corporate decision makers aren't convinced
yet.  They want someone else to go first.

2) The License: There are frequent references in the GPL to requirements
that software that uses GPL libraries must be GPL itself, unless the GPL
license is properly written under the LGPL license or contains certain
clauses.  For internal corporate development this raises a whole new level
of importance to license compliance.  Someone has to review which libraries
are used by internal projects, analyze the licenses and track
them.  Because in the old commercial system if you make a mistake, you can
throw money at it and make it go away.  Under GPL, if you make a mistake
you could end up having your internal projects suddenly having to be
available to any 3rd party that wants it, if you also made a mistake and
did something that qualifies it as being 'released'.  Microsoft has called
the GPL license 'viral', and for once they're right.  With improper use,
the GPL license will 'infect' other code that uses it.  It is my dream,
BTW, that one day some GPL code will be found within Windows :')

Rob