Ok, so I'm clueless. :) Setting up an external modem.

Steven W. Moyer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 16 15:56:01 2002

I just worked through this problem (it also exists on RedHat later than 7.0).
The fancy -schmancy GUI setup routines all use wvdial, which when it installs
creates a config file /etc/wvdial.conf that needs the  following line added
to its [Default Dialer] section:

new PPPD=1

This line enables support for the new PPP daemon and also requires the
/etc/ppp/peers/wvdial file to exist.  Unfortunately, its fairly hard to clean
all the installation garbage off the machine after running the GUI tools.
Try this:

1)  Using the GUI (I'm using RH dialup configurator), delete all modems and
dialup connections.
2)  From a shell, delete the /etc/wvdial.conf file
3)  From a shell, run wvdialconf to create a new configuration file (and find
the modem you deleted.
4)  With an editor (your choice, I use vi), add the line above to the
wvdial.conf file.
5)  From the GUI, create a dialup account, but no modems (leave the dialup
account set to Default modem and it will use the one found by wvdialconf).
6)  Change the ppp0 (or ppp1 or whatever) in the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file
to an asterisk.
7)  Change the ppp0 (or ppp1 or whatever) in the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file to
an asterisk.

This should make the account work for all users (I had certain combinations
that only allowed root to dial, even though the configuration had the "allow
users to start and stop interface" check box marked.

The GUI configuration program is actually called rp3-config and the dialer is
rp3.  Try starting them from a shell if you have problems, and their debug
output will be displayed.

Good luck and let me know how you make out, smoyer