Ok, so I'm clueless. :) Setting up an external modem.

Pete Peters yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 17 10:00:01 2002

Just checked the Apple Spec Database. Not all 6500's shipped w/ a modem in
the Comm II slot. Also, it does list separate printer and modem ports.

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf
Of Iain Stevenson
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 7:30 AM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: Ok, so I'm clueless. :) Setting up an external modem.

I think the 6500 has a single printer port and a built in modem.  So the
printer port would be used by Linux for an external modem.  It should be
configured automatically at boot with no need to delve into the mysteries
of the Linux serial driver.

I agree that checking that the modem is working on the Mac OS side is an
essential first step.  It may then be necessary to use a Linux serial
communication program such as minicom just to check that the modem is
receiving signals from the 6500.  It should be on either /dev/ttyS0 or
/dev/ttyS1.  Once that works, move on to the ppp stuff.

  Iain

--On Friday, May 17, 2002 9:23 am -0500 Scott Alan Burch <scottb@accom.com>