If you knew SCSI like I knew SCSI...

Jackie LaVaque yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 17 17:44:01 2002

... then, you wouldn't know much about SCSI!! :)~

I hope you guys and gals get a chuckle out of this. I am doing a triple
"D'OH!" here tonight. Forehead-slapping stuff, really.  I'm the one who
posted the "So I'm clueless..." thread a couple days ago, regarding
installation of an external modem. I found out why the modem I was trying to
install wouldn't work.

I was at Computer Renaissance tonight and just happened to look at a SCSI
card hanging on a wall under the Mac components section. Don't know what
made me pick it up, exactly- I've never had a SCSI-type device for any of my
computers-but I'm glad I did look at it, because as I was checking it out, I
realized that the port that I was trying to plug the external Best Modem
into (using a serial cable adapter) was... a Mac SCSI port.

D'OH!!!

Well, I'll be dipped; it looked just like a x86 Intel serial port to me. I
believe the only SCSI port I've ever run across was one where it had gold
teeth-like contacts in the slot. And it wasn't on my computer, so how would
I know. I don't have any real experience with external drives or peripherals
that utilize SCSI ports.

I can order a 56K external modem from US Robotics. They carry them, and as
long as I have the right cable, it *should* work. And I did find the 9 pin
serial port on the back of my 'puter. It was covered up with a piece of
plastic which reminded me of those kidproof outlet covers. I didn't even
notice that, let alone try and remove it.

With a nice SCSI port on the back of my 'puter, I can theoretically
daisy-chain up to six external drives if I wanted to. I am in the market for
a CD-RW SCSI, so if this particular flavor of Linux supports it, I may
purchase one of those- they are pretty cheap right now. I can back up my
stuff on it. I've heard some buzz about SCSI devices balking in Linux, but I
have not really read up on that yet for lack of need.

My geek pride did not get out of this learning experience unscathed,
however... I keep feeling my face flush when I think of how I tried to set
up the modem using a 25 pin male serial adapter... no wonder it didn't work.
But at least I know now what a Mac SCSI port looks like!

Jackie